Friday 6 June 2014

Juneathon Day 5 - Couch to 5k

For a lot of my adult life I have been overweight, and for the last decade I have been what would be classed as obese. Over the last couple of years, our little family have been through huge changes - many of which have been really tough and upsetting on us all - and this has affected my motivation to do anything proactive about losing the weight.

I am now nearing the age that my Dad developed Type II Diabetes and with a family history of early death caused by heart attacks and with a young family to think about, I made the decision that 2014 would be the year I was going to get thinner and fitter.

Things started slowly with me cutting out late night snacking and trying to eat a proper breakfast and lunch. I also decided that instead of just giving one thing up for Lent, I cut out crisps, chocolate, sweets, biscuits and cake!  It was worth it though as I am now a stone lighter than I was at Hogmanay without making a huge sacrifice. BUT I have drifted a bit over the last month, and it is only the increase in calories burnt through exercise that has stopped the pounds piling back on.

Now we come to the point of Today's post!

The only exercise I irregularly did was swimming, but knew I would need something else to help blast the pounds away. I came upon the NHS Couch-to-5k Running Plan which is a 9 week programme that takes you from nothing to running for 30 minutes (and which should eventually mean you cover 5k!)



Being the size of a small couch, I would never have made it through the first "run" if it hadn't been for my Little Miss encouraging me the whole way! Currently I am on Week 6 (though we did repeat a few weeks along the way) and tonight completed W6 Run 2 which consisted of 2 blocks of 10 minutes running separated by a 3 minute walk.

Along with my morning village walk, today's total distance covered was 6k.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment