Tuesday 10 June 2014

Juneathon Day 9 - Back in the Pool!

Throughout my life I've loved to swim. I remember having a couple of lessons at school when I was @10 but in essence taught myself one summer whilst staying with an Aunt who had a pool in the garden!

I became a qualified lifesaver whilst I was studying for my A' Levels, and had a part time job working at the local leisure centre. I must have been in the pool 5 days out of 7.

When Master P was growing up, we always went swimming at the weekends and Little Miss H is carrying on the family love of water by training with our local club - Didcot Barramundi SC - she's a fab little breaststroker!

Over the last couple of years I have taken part in the annual Swimathon. In 2012 and 2013 I completed 2.5k (100 lengths) but this year I decided to push myself and up the distance to 5k.


My goal was to cover the 200 lengths in 2 hours - as I could swim 100 comfortably in an hour during training. It was an early start on the day as I needed to be in the pool at 7am, but with Mr D, Little Miss H and Sister T cheering me on I was overjoyed to finish in 1:58.55!!!!

Today was really the first time I had been back in the pool since then, so I decided that I would ease myself back into training by just swimming 60 lengths (1.5k). Oh My Word!!  I was fine until I got to about 40, and then my arms seemed to turn to lead and I virtually was going nowhere with every stroke. Luckily it eased off a bit and I managed to complete all the lengths but it has made me realise how easily all that upper body fitness has worn off so I need to make an effort to get at least 1 weekly training session in the diary.

No comments:

Post a Comment