Wednesday 16 September 2009

I'm swimming the English Channel ...

... well not literally, but definately theoretically.



I've needed to get into shape for a good few years now, and when I saw the Aspire Channel Swim, I knew this was an opportunity to good to pass by.





The idea is to swim the distance of the English Channel (22 miles or 35400 metres) over 12 weeks (14th September to 6th December). This is a sponsored swim and all money raised goes to helping people suffering from spinal cord injuries.


My local pool is 25 metres in length so I need to swim 1416 lengths. If I swim 3 times a week, that equates to 40 lengths per visit.


This morning I got my bag packed, and headed off to the pool after I dropped DD off at school. As it has been a while since I've done much more than paddle about in the shallow end, I took it easy and completed 30 lengths in around 40 minutes which I didn't think was bad!


Apart from yawning a fair bit this afternoon, I don't - at present - have any aches and pains. I plan to go again tomorrow and Thursday, so I'll keep you updated weekly as to how I'm progressing.


If you'd like to sponsor me, the link to use is below.


http://www.justgiving.com/Leah-Day/

1 comment: