Saturday, 31 October 2009

My Crafty Candles

My friend Martina has a little business, My Crafty Candles, which makes personalised candles.

She took the decision to take a stall at a wedding fayre, and wanted a banner for her table. It was to match - if possible - her website.

To start, I searched to find the font used for the lettering so that I could produce templates, but as this was unsuccessful I resorted to photographing the banner enlarged on my laptop screen!!

It worked and I was then able to cut out the letters from some gorgeous felt I'd bought from The Little Felt Shop on Ebay.

I then stitched these on to black fleece so I had the 3 seperate words. I was also lucky to find some embelishments that matched the floral bursts from her website - which I then glued on.

As a backing I used a length of creamy crushed velvet to try to create a light floaty feel but wth still some substance to the banner.

Although at the beginning of the process I was worried how it would turn out, I was pleased with the final result - and more importantly so was Martina.

She had a very successful day at the fayre - but I'm not sure that that was necessarily down to my work!!

Sunday, 11 October 2009

SewConnected3 - August and September

As I'm so behind with blogging - "NO!" I hear you cry - I thought I'd have a dual post for my August and September SC3 blocks.

For August, QuiltDad, gave us the option to make 2 different types of blocks.

The first option was to make either a 12.5" or 6.5" (unfinished) "quarter log-cabin" block. This could be straight or wonky. A Quarter log-cabin, means starting with a square or rectangle, and only building on 2 adjacent sides of that piece (instead of all 4 sides).

The second option was to make a "normal" log-cabin block. The twist was to make it slightly larger than usual - 13" unfinished - and then cut it into quarters to make four equally sized 6.5" blocks. These will be re-arranged and sewn together to make a 12.5" block.

I decided to try one of each kind. Here is the log-cabin uncut

then cut into the 4 quarters

and with the remaining fabric, I made a 12.5" quarter log-cabin

Then for September, OhThatAshley wanted us to make Maverick Stars. Mendocino fabrics was to be used for the stars, and Kona Cotton in aqua for the background. We could make them 12.5” square (unfinished), 6.5” square or even 12.5”x 6.5” rectangle blocks.

In the end I made all 3 sizes!!

The big square

The rectangle

And 2 x small squares

The rectangle was the hardest to make as I had to be extra careful ensuring that I placed the fabric correctly when sewing the points.

I've now started with October's fabrics which is again a double block month.

Saturday, 3 October 2009

DQS7 - Received

I was waiting and waiting for my quilt to arrive, but eventually it did (after about 3 weeks in transit), and my oh my was it worth the wait!

My swap partner turned out to be Jennifer (Quay&Co). We are both members of SewConnected3, and although I did comment on her Flickr picture that I hoped her quilt was for me - I never thought for a second that it would eventually be mine!!

IT'S A RAINBOW QUILT!!! Made from strips of different colours projecting horizontally out from a central black and white vertical strip. It's bound with the same fabric.

The back is made from a spotty fabric that blends in perfectly, finished off with a great label.

It's quilted simply with horizontal lines but it's totally in keeping and effective.

And there was more!!

She also included a gorgeous circular drawstring bag, made from a tasty looking apple fabric, and whose ingenious double lining creates little pockets around it.
There was also some black and white embroidered ric-rac, a length of fabric featuring patches in autumnal designs and colours, and to finish a square tile pendant with 2 different coloured ribbon "chains".

I am so so happy with my quilt and it WILL take pride of place in my craft room once it is organised and sorted - I promise. Thank you, thank you, thank you.