Sunday 11 October 2009

SewConnected3 - August and September

As I'm so behind with blogging - "NO!" I hear you cry - I thought I'd have a dual post for my August and September SC3 blocks.


For August, QuiltDad, gave us the option to make 2 different types of blocks.

The first option was to make either a 12.5" or 6.5" (unfinished) "quarter log-cabin" block. This could be straight or wonky. A Quarter log-cabin, means starting with a square or rectangle, and only building on 2 adjacent sides of that piece (instead of all 4 sides).

The second option was to make a "normal" log-cabin block. The twist was to make it slightly larger than usual - 13" unfinished - and then cut it into quarters to make four equally sized 6.5" blocks. These will be re-arranged and sewn together to make a 12.5" block.

I decided to try one of each kind. Here is the log-cabin uncut



then cut into the 4 quarters


and with the remaining fabric, I made a 12.5" quarter log-cabin




Then for September, OhThatAshley wanted us to make Maverick Stars. Mendocino fabrics was to be used for the stars, and Kona Cotton in aqua for the background. We could make them 12.5” square (unfinished), 6.5” square or even 12.5”x 6.5” rectangle blocks.

In the end I made all 3 sizes!!



The big square


The rectangle


And 2 x small squares




The rectangle was the hardest to make as I had to be extra careful ensuring that I placed the fabric correctly when sewing the points.

I've now started with October's fabrics which is again a double block month.

No comments:

Post a Comment