Being asked to make a string quilt block using this tutorial.
When I first saw it I was horrified. Paper Piecing!! But the reality wasn't as bad as I'd anticipated and in the end the block turned out OK.
I then promptly forgot about it until I was Flickr-hopping looking for some inspiration for a couple of Halloween swap projects. I then stumbled upon Artisania and decided to take the plunge and use her Pumpkin/Jack-O-Lantern and Cat patterns.
I attempted the cat first and found out pretty quickly that these were going to a bit trickier than the string block to say the least!! It was all that back-to-front and upside down palaver that foxed me and my stitch ripper came into a bit of use I can tell you! But suddenly it all clicked, and I got them finished. I don't think it helped that I wanted to keep the backgrounds patchy and random but I am proud of how they look finished.
So with Christmas looming and another swap needed, it was back to Flickr-land where I stumbed upon Sewhooked. Jennifer has designed a whole heap of fabulous paper pieced patterns and I found the perfect ones to use.
Each individual block finished at @ 4" so some of the pieces were tiny which was a real challenge and with practice I'm sure that I'll be able to match the sections together much better.
UPDATE: The Batik block is finished!!
I have a Valentine Swap to make for so I may be getting the paper out again!!